It was fantastic to get young people talking about positive relationships, consent, safe sexual practices, sexuality, STIS and services available. The team was awesome at engaging.
What is Sexwise?
The Sexwise programme enables youth to gain current, accurate information about sexuality and healthy relationships in an engaging workshop environment.
Who is it for?
The youth of Aotearoa in Years 9-13, with a specific focus on decile 1- 6 High Schools, as well as Māori & Pasifika communities.
Where is it available?
We visit schools, Te Kura Kaupapa Māori, alternative educators, Youth Justice Centres, Teen Parent Units and Youth Groups nationwide on an annual tour. Our Sexwise facilitators travel the length and breadth of Aotearoa to deliver our programme.
How much does it cost?
Sexwise is fully funded for the youth of Aotearoa in Years 9-13:
- In decile 1- 6 secondary schools
- Educational settings with a large percentage of Māori or Pacific Island youth.
How does it work?
Every student experiences two steps
Step 1: Watch the performance
- Breaks down barriers
- Identifies real sexual health and relationship issues and negative behaviours
- References current & accurate information
Step 2: Workshop in class groups
- Opens discussion of issues which arise in the performance
- Further explores sexual health ideas, facts, statistics and corrects misinformation
- Reflects on behaviours that can impact sexual health & well being
- Uses peer to peer problem solving to build the confidence of the class
Who funds Sexwise?
Sexwise is fortunate to have the Ministry of Health as our primary funding partner along with a fantastic group of regional funders.